Monday 13 May 2013

Handphones or Parents?

Yesterday, May 13th was Mother’s Day and I was having my dinner together with my wife and brother in law at this famous wine and steak house called UpperStar. It was quite packed with people at the time we reached there and it was probably around 8.00pm. I guess the reason was because everyone was celebrating this special day with their Mom.

While I was enjoying having my dinner, the one table just right across mine caught my attention. There were four people on that table, parents and their two kids, a boy and a girl probably around 15 or 16 years old. Both kids had their head bowed down and were so focused on something in their hands for the past 20 minutes, which, I later found out were handphones. I started to feel funny when I look at their parents’ expression, innocent and annoyed looking faces.
Young people, what’s the matter with you guys. Weren’t you supposed to celebrate this special day with your Mom? You were making it as if your parents were the one celebrating for themselves.
For God’s sake, please! This was supposed to be a dinner where family members get together to chit chat and share their life and stories. You may have something really urgent you need to respond but seriously, 20 minutes non-stop attending to your handphones? There are more important things in life compared to posting something on your facebook or try to achieve xx points on your handphone games. Appreciate the moment because you may never know if you will ever have the chance to 'talk' with your parents again.
 Daughter was blocked by the waitress


No comments:

Post a Comment