Sunday 19 May 2013

Farting, Bikes

Just something bothering my mind and wish to blog about it today.

I'm not sure what I have eaten that keeps me farting since last night. My stomach was and is still feeling uncomfortable as at now and the funny thing is, I think I farted on my wife's face while both of us were asleep last night and she was like nothing happened and still enjoyed her sleep. Haha... well, just a joke. Actually what really happened was I woke up from an unexpected fart while I was dreaming of riding a bike.

Speaking of bike, yeah, recently I came across this video on YouTube from a guy called Mordeth 13. Initial searching was to get some information about living in Taiwan as I am currently having a thought of moving over there in the future (I will blog about this some other time). I have being thinking about riding a bike for a few years already but I have never got the chance to realize it. In Malaysia, in order to ride a bike, you got to have at least a B2 license if you're riding a bike (250cc and below), a B1 license (251cc to 500cc) and a B license (500cc and above). The minimum age to get the license is 16 years old if I remember correctly but my parents never really encouraged me to get a bike license as according to them riding a bike is very dangerous. I listened to them and got myself a driving license instead.

Growing up and entering work force, I soon realised driving a car is actually a big burden financially as well as mentally challenging. If you have read about my cars in my other blog, you will realise that car prices in Malaysia is not cheap and often, with Malaysian's lower standard of living, to own a car means having to seek financing from bank and this, becomes 2 of the biggest financial burden to average Malaysian (the other one being housing loan). Traffic congestion in Kota Kinabalu is also getting worst each day and on average, it takes me about 40 minutes to get from my home to the office (not taking into account time spent to look for parking). People from bigger city in Malaysia like Kuala Lumpur may find 40 minutes is nothing but for me, 40 minutes is a lot of time wasted on the road. Also, sometime I just wish to travel a short distance, for example, to buy some sundries at a supermarket about a kilometre away from where I stay and I need to summon my car already. Driving car is giving me so much headache particularly looking for parking space in the city too and it really becomes not so practical anymore with number of cars on the street increasing every day. Even looking for a car park in the city can be time consuming.

I think bike can simplify my life a lot.
A typical Kapcai
For one, financially, Kapcai (underbone motorcycles, popular in Malaysia) is affordable as it cost at an average of RM6,000 per unit. Compared to the cheapest car currently available in Malaysia that costed about RM26,000, that's a 20k savings. Average Malaysian who cannot fork out RM26k for the car will have to go to the banks to seek financial assistance, thus, becoming the bank's slave for the rest of his life. 

Secondly, it also gets you from point A to point B, minus the time wasted on traffic congestion and looking for car park. With a car, especially when you're travelling alone, you're actually "hauling" along a heavy "steel box" with you from point A to point B and because of it's size, you will have to find parking space for it when you reached your point B. What a joke?! Duh?!! A bike is so mobile and practical because of its size. It also rides you from A to B, skipping the traffic congestion and virtually, you can park anywhere in the city.

Thirdly, the sense of freedom when riding a bike. This kind of feeling, only bikers can understand. The first time I experienced this was when I was in my university and I was a pillion rider on my friend's bike. Hard for me to explain but it's kind of like riding on a bicycle except it's like 100 times more exciting?

Of course I do not deny the fact that riding a bike is dangerous. Yes it is, no doubt about it as you can always read in the newspaper everyday about bikers got killed. However in a city, I believe the risk is a lot lesser given cars are always travelling at so much slower pace in congested traffic. If you meet an accident, I believe it will not be so severe like killing you?

Oh well, I'm currently trying to get quotation from driving school around the city and most of these schools quoted like around RM600 just to get the B2 license. Dreaming of moving up from Kapcai to a Ninja 250 and subsequently 600 but of course I will have to take a B license in order to get the 600 but that's my ultimate goal. Anyway, I would like to recommend Mordeth 13's video here if you're a biker and wish to travel to Taiwan or planning to move there. He's a vlogger and currently has about 1,000 plus videos on his YouTube channel. Most of his vlog was taken while he's riding his bike around Taiwan so you get the chance to see what he's seeing in Taiwan while he's riding. Oh, and he also has this tour-on-a-bike company which you may be interested.

Kawasaki Ninja 250
Kawasaki Ninja 600

I just farted and shitted my pants.....

No comments:

Post a Comment