Tuesday 23 July 2013

A Year After Leaving Labuan

This is a delayed post.
Today is 23rd July 2013, about a year after leaving Labuan...
 
Yeah, I used to work in Labuan for those who do not know me much. I left Labuan on 26th July 2012 to pursue a better quality family life. Labuan is a small island off the west coast of Sabah and is about 160 Km from Kota Kinabalu.
Jetty in Labuan, the RORO ferry was the only land transport
connection between the Labuan island and Borneo island

I joined TMF Group (formerly known as Equity Trust (Labuan) Limited) as an account executive back in 2009. I was forced to look for a new employment after my former employer, PricewaterhouseCoopers decided to close down their branch in Kota Kinabalu. Looking for a job was tough as people were not hiring during that time. After sending several resumes, I finally got a reply from Equity Trust which immediately requested for a phone interview a day after the resume was sent. I do have some background information about Equity Trust as prior to this, I did visit this Company while carrying out audit fieldwork at this Company and has good impression on this Company. So after the interview, they accepted my application and I was a happy man on my way to Labuan, the pearls of Borneo some called.
Christmas gift exchange in office
Photo taken together with colleagues during
one of the company outings.
One of the Labuan beaches. As you can see here, tugboats
achoring offshore
Labuan is a small island and is best known as an offshore financial centre. Lifestyles here, I would describe as "layback" and "relax" kind. There's not many entertainment you can find in Labuan except for pubs and karaokes given Labuan is also a duty free island so you get very cheap beer, liquor, import chocolates and the most favourite, cheap cars. Yes, compared to other parts of Malaysia (except Langkawi, which is another duty free island in Malaysia), you get to drive duty free cars. Imagine a Mitsubishi Lancer costing about RM126,000 in other parts of Malaysia cost only RM76,000 (a reduction of about 65%) in Labuan. Therefore no surprising if you do not see Viva (one of the cheapest available car in Malaysia) roaming in Labuan. Despite the cheaper car price, there are certain terms and conditions and one of which these car cannot be brought out from the Labuan island to any part of Malaysia and if it needs to be brought out,  a hefty amount of tax will have to be paid. I didn't get any new car while I was working in Labuan as I anticipated I may one day leave this island, which I eventually did.

Taken on the RORO ferry
The RORO ferry approaching Labuan ferry terminal
Oil Tanker explosion on the day I left Labuan. It was a big
Poeple in Labuan are friendly. I guess this was due to less hectic lifestyle. Labuan is, for some people, boring as it is a small town with a population of less than 100,000. There are no big cinemas, hypermarkets and big shopping centres. If you are a person who indulged in a world of consumerism and materialism, this is definitely not a place for you as accessibility of latest product such as latest tech (car excluded) and clothing and handbags is not easy and immediate.  For people who likes outdoor activities such as jungle trekking, scuba diving or strolling around the beautiful beaches, Labuan is the place for you. There are plenty of night clubs though. It depends on how an individual looks at Labuan.

Hm...missing the time in Labuan.

If you need further information or assistant about Labuan, please drop me a feedback below.

No comments:

Post a Comment