Tuesday 24 June 2014

Rich vs Poor, From a Car Wash Session Perspective

Ha, what a weird title but let's just skip this for the time being as i'm still thinking of an appropriate topic for my sharing today. Or, perhaps I will just let it be.

Me and my wife brought our car for a wash yesterday at a car wash outlet in Damai, Kota Kinabalu. After done with our lunch, we decided to head back to the outlet to check on the status of our car wash and to inspect any dirt not cleaned. There were 3 kids (8-9 years of age probably) doing the cleaning of our car, on a public holiday.

Car Wash Outlet @ Damai


Besides them, I saw two adults too like in the range of 45 or 50 years of age cleaning another car. From the way they look (previous 3 kids included), I strongly believe they are not locals. The state of Sabah particularly on the east and west coast, is flooded with illegal immigrants from southern Philippines but for this topic, I will not go into that. I remember when I was small, I watched movies where in the old days of India, the very poor and uneducated Indians helped to wash the cars of the Elites in exchange for a small amount of money for their day to day survival. Now, when I looked at my car, them (the car cleaners) and myself, the exact scene is playing right in front of my own eyes. Of course I don't consider myself an elite group but the gap of rich vs poor in the society is there. This sudden of realization made me think of what God wanted to hint me as I have never thought that such scene, like the Indian movie would be playing right in front of my eyes. 

I felt sadness and pity suddenly particularly recalling several occasions when we raised our voice at them when they did not properly cleaned our car. No doubt these people are creating problems (cases of crimes and beggaring) to our society but let's not forget that these people come here in order to look for better life which, our forefathers did the same too when they left China decades ago. These people come here to escape the civil war and instability in Southern Philippines. They came here with nothing except hope for a better life.


I'm not trying to conclude anything for this topic, just my short random thought and sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment